I don’t have proper photos of the finished doll yet as she needs lips and better lighting but, here, have some work in progress pictures of Gradient
Blue Mbili (aka don’t make me use the word ombré
when you mean camaieu
) using leftovers from the Catrine reroot. I used black as a seventh colour at the back as I didn’t have enough ink blue to do more than a stripe. I also realized about 60% through that I did not have as much cobalt leftover as i had thought (actually enough for like 3 plugs) which was the impetus to sew all of the wigs
to raise money for hair to finish this which is circular craft logic insanity
and happens more often than i’ll admit.Also I have so much doll hair
but I keep ending up without the specific colour for the specific design that’s already half finished.
I’m brilliant at seeing a situation and knowing within seconds how many ways it could go wrong, I can look at a product design and see within seconds the flaws and limitations and ways to misuse the product, I can tell from people’s use of language the things they are hiding or trying to say without actually saying but i can’t plan ahead for a craft project or food plans without extremely detailed checklists.
I mean I’ve done over 150 full reroots and have been rerooting since 2002 but have a checklist I now follow religiously because of too many “oops” half way through.
Here it is
- remove original hair
- photos of bald doll’s problem areas
- optional/ wash doll if glue head
- boil head. do not touch with anything until cool as it will scrape the paint decals.
- optional/ glue areas that can be fixed, wait 24h
- optional/ paint scalp (acrylic)
- optional/ seal scalp with matt varnish (for acrylic)
- measure, cut and seperate hair hanks with twist ties and crocodile clips
- bulk reroot
- detail reroot (front line and parting)
- check for thin areas
- add glue, wait 24h
- recheck for thin areas
guess “check that you have enough of all the colours” was missing LMAO.
It’s a sidepart gradient reroot using the same semi circle system as for Licca or MH (see my previous posts for the diagrams) which means that 6 colours are visible on one side of the face, 5 on the other. The middle colour (the pale turquoise) is split 4mm for one side of the parting and 2mm for the other.
I made the portions too wide at the parting which means only 4 of 6 are properly visible before the drop off – This is because monster high heads or liccas are mostly spherical and barbies are ovoid.
So please note if you’re doing a 5-6 colour gradient reroot for Barbies: 5 or 6mm at the front but the parting portions need to be 3-4mm apart.
Editing to add that I use E6000 for fixing vinyl holes and UHU all purpose (not the green version) to seal the hair in.