This was my latest comission, I was sent the anime picture and was told it was going to be a Star Darlings Sage so I …
* boil the head to make the holes smaller
* glue the head split with superglue and avoid it during the reroot
* optional: add a thin layer of e6000 to the inside of the scalp for extra heft
* stuff the head with foam
This foam was left over from a nail buffer block. I cut off thin slices, rolled them and stuffed them into the head carefully with hemostats until the head was completely full – it took all but 1cm of the foam!
The idea is to keep the head split from reopening by making sure that the head doesn’t bend during a tension reroot.
When the reroot is finished, I’ll gently pull out the foam and put in more glue than usual so that the head doesn’t split open when the hair is brushed or the head squished.
I’ve done this before with clone or vintage dolls with super thin vinyl that threatens to tear and will keep you posted on this greyscale lady.
How to make a pastel rainbow Licca!
Here are the measurements if you’d like to make your own.
(This will work with castle/new gen Licca heads with a slight redraw of the front line of hair for a more modern hairline. See side picture of the bald head.)
- 10 bands at the front: 6mm each
- 10 bands at the back: 5mm each
- 5 bands across the 3cm parting: 6mm each
So far each colour band (front + back) has taken me 1h30 with the tool method.
The pencil rubs off during the reroot so I recommend doing alternate bands of colour.
The fuzzy no-flash collage is the closest colour match to the real thing: pastel yellow, lavender, a peachy pink and minty/seafoam green.
She’s not as pastel as I’d hoped to make her (the client wanted true pastels but that would mean purchasing 5 different nylon packs including some from the USA) because saran doesn’t have a pale blue that isn’t very green. I tried to dilute the “teal” blue but the blends looked very grey against all these full colours. So instead I darkened the mint with some seafoam so it was approximately the same darkness as the rest.
I’m torn between loving it and hating that it’s not right.
The stripe design worked out great with triple rainbows at the pigtails and options for lots of different hairstyles that show the single or double rainbow. Very very pleased with that! I can see it working with a gradient reroot such as red, celtic red (tomato soup), orange, yellow, golden blonde…
Some photos from working on the bratz pixiez: deciding on a widows peak and giving the face a heart shape by bringing the hair down …
Saw this 1969 Julia Barbie on ebay in a TLC lot and knew I really wanted to try and fix her up. Her hair was …
Heliotrope is a new colour that’s slightly more purple than electric purple aka chromatic pink *rose is pink gin, rose foncé is sherbet pink
Catrine gradient reroot – work in progress photos: Paint the head with acrylic + seal with acrylic matte. The acrylic paint chips off in tiny …
I don’t have proper photos of the finished doll yet as she needs lips and better lighting but, here, have some work in progress pictures …
Especially useful around the holidays. You’ll need hair (from a donor doll, from a hair extension, seperated sewing thread or about a ¼ of a …
Some work in progress photos to illustrate how I’ve recently done reroots on dolls with holes in their heads (2 barbies with scalp holes …